MizuhoTHE STORY SO FAR Challenging stigma within a global financial institution We began our partnership with Mizuho (UK/EMEA), a global bank headquartered in Japan, in
A customised programme for professional services
As a business, Gowling’s known for its diversity and inclusion, so they wanted to replicate that equality when it came to mental and physical health too.
To achieve this, they knew they needed a strategic programme to change attitudes and behaviours around mental health that a) delivered long-term results, and b) worked in a law firm setting.
We created an adaptable and customised programme that has since evolved with Gowling, and enabled them to provide appropriate and proven learning around chosen outcomes and at each level of the organisation.
The two key desired outcomes from this were to:
- Raise awareness and understanding, and;
- Provide employees with competence and confidence in their ability to quickly spot and act on changes – such as signposting and support.
This programme was first introduced back in 2016 and it still exists to this day.
To ensure their bespoke programme touched every area of the organisation and became embedded in their business as usual activity, we rolled out:
- Senior Manager Workshops. This primarily focuses on understanding mental health in the workplace and the skills needed to facilitate open conversations, signposting, and support.
- Mental Health Champions programme. Held together by volunteers, this provides people across the business with a confidential outlet to discuss any issues and receive expert listening, signposting, and support.
To ensure the programme keeps up with the business’ needs, Champions’ skills are enhanced on an ad-hoc basis to meet emerging trends, ensure boundaries are maintained, and that the volunteers themselves have a support network too.
- Awareness raising activities and individual support. This includes things like mindfulness, Lunch and Learn sessions, the ‘This is Me’ campaign, and easy access to a virtual GP, healthcare benefits, and the Employee Assistance Programme.
- 1:1 coaching. We provide this to people within Gowling who have a key role in managing mental health in the organisation, to ensure they are armed with everything they need to effectively fulfil their duties.
Since teaming up with us, Gowling has seen a significant change in the normalisation of mental health in their business and an increase in frequent and free-flowing conversations around the topic.
On top of that, more employees now feel confident in recognising not only changes in themselves, but within others too, across the continuum of mental health, enabling early intervention and better employee-centred results.
Mary Mackintosh, General Counsel at Gowling WLG, said: “Maggi has got a wonderfully direct and fun approach backed with a wealth of expertise, which stands her head and shoulders above others in her field.
“I found her 1:1 sessions both empowering and enlightening and her group training sessions are the best I’ve ever seen.”
And Lorna Gavin, Head of Diversity, Inclusion & Corporate Responsibility, added: “Mental Health at Work are respected experts in the field of mental health training. We have been very impressed with their bespoke approach, professionalism, and ability to tune into our specific needs. Their fit, style and pace all suited our environment.”
More success stories like this
Clear ChannelTHE STORY SO FAR Building a programme for a diverse workplace with hybrid and field-based employees Clear Channel UK are one of the UK’s
Motability OperationsTHE STORY SO FAR Creating a coordinated approach to encourage a supportive mental health environment Motability Operations Ltd is the organisation that brings the